Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Adventures in Paradise 2

Adventures in Paradise 2

Kia orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with a big lesson learned this week. I have described the living conditions here as humble, but I probably meant “poor”, and I have found that this is where I have misjudged. I was measuring quality of life here by a ruler that does not apply here. Most everyone here, old and young, large or small rides a moped. It is convenient, gas costs are down and they can go anywhere. It is so entertaining to see who or how many are riding one little bike, and what they are transporting.  The other day, we say a grandmother riding with a baby not more than two years old sitting behind her. I was worried that as that baby slipped to one side or the other, it would soon be tumbling along the roadway. Then I noticed that the grandmother had tied a sash around her waist and the babes’ as well. The grandmother was driving the moped with one hand (something I do not suggest to any visitor) and her other hand was cupped around the child’s bottom. Every time that baby would start slipping one way or the other, that grandmother would scoot it back onto the seat. I am certain that she was more relaxed about the situation that the missionary in the car behind her! So, on to my story. That same day, we met a woman (around 70 years old) who had just arrived at the church on a moped in a blinding rainstorm. I remarked that perhaps she should have stayed home where she could have been dry, and she replied, “Oh, I love the rain. Whenever I am driving in the rain, I think of that rain as tears of joy for all of my blessings.”  Oh, I am starting to see the error of my perspective.

Where I could not imagine a life without the “finer” things (theater, books, fine dining, you get the idea) they cannot imagine why anyone would want to live anywhere else. One man, who’s house has no windows that I could see, remarked on his million-dollar view. Oh, yes, I am learning.  Another couple talked about the simple, sweet life that they lead and how the really do live off the land. This man went to New Zealand once, a wasted trip, he said, and could not imagine why someone would take a perfectly good potato and mash it! This is the same man who has been happily married to his wife and the land for forty years and who sent us home with more homegrown eggplant, tomatoes and papaya that we can possibly use ( home made spaghetti sauce and eggplant parmesean, so far!) and when I drove up to his home, I felt sorry for him. People have shared their food and their homes with us and I am learning to be more grateful. Yes, I am learning.

That is not to say that we do not find humor in our life here. Rarotongans love to laugh, so we are in good company. We found getting a driver’s license here to be fast and easy. Give the woman twenty dollars and have our photo taken. You all will be impressed to know that we are now qualified to operate a motorcycle (great, because I couldn’t drive one before!) any car or light trade vehicle, heavy trade vehicles and taxis. How about that! Ward is driving a ten-passenger van on a one-passenger road. He has only backed into one palm tree so far. Thank goodness for that driver’s license!   The is a road sign that says simply,”The faster you go the bigger the mess”. Well, that could be a metaphor for life! The bus stops here, say. Bus into town, and arrows point both ways. Ah. Yes, living on an island! Today, we eagerly anticipated the high point of a rarotongans day. We went down to the end of the runway and watched the jet fly over us just before landing. People here love the jet blast. Who needs Dysneyland!

We are busy and happy. We have been meeting with and teaching some lovely people who want to know more. I especially love working with the little children, who are so breathtakingly beautiful. We had two families here last night for family home evening and again, they are thankful for all that they have and the opportunity to learn more about the Gospel. Sunday started with a 7:00 am meeting and just kept going on. We met with people in two of the three branches here and introduced the branch counsels to the new missionary program from Salt Lake. Ward joined the district choir , which will be singing in district conference shortly. One of the choir members said that she has goose-pimples (bumps to us) when they sang, “I Am A Child of God” in Maori. Elder smarty-pants  will be fluent before we return, I am sure. So far, I can say, hello, goodbye, see you later, see you tomorrow, and I am fine thank you. Unfortunately, I cannot understand when anyone asks me how I am in Maori, so I May not be using that last  phrase too much.

Well, I didn’t mean for this update to be so long. But the lessons that we (I) have learned here so far could fill a book!

We are happy and peaceful and hope that you are too!

Love, Ward and Susan, Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cook Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment