Friday, February 11, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 18

Adventures in Paradise 18


Kia orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with some observations about respect. I had a brilliant idea for this blog. I was going to announce the First Annual Rarotongan Parade of Homes. My idea was to photograph homes on the island and show them as if they were listed for sale. There would be descriptive phrases such as “Fixer-Upper’, “Open Floor Plan”, or “Handyman Special”. This blog would be funny and clever and totally tongue-in-cheek. With my creative juices flowing, I somehow missed the point that these were homes of people that I loved. Although I had meant no disrespect, it would have been disrespectful, none the less. While it’s quite probable that no one here would ever have seen the blog, I would always know that I had created laughs at someone else’s expense and that was not the respectful thing to do. To tell the truth, I am still learning. I have decided to go ahead with the home tour, but this time, hopefully, you will appreciate the one phrase that
 I have decided to use:
Be It Ever So Humble, There Is No Place Like Home

Levi Anderson at home with his best friends


Aissacs home smells like ripe mangos right now.


The John brothers home from school.


This is home for two people.


Bernadette's home is made from coconut palm logs.


President and Sister Cummings in their mountaintop home.


This home is empty and if I were to stay, I would want to live here.


Or mabey I would choose this home simply for the color scheme. Charming.


This home has it's own creative name


The Aratangi's always treat us like honored guests when we visit their home. 


The Kumars moved to this home so that they could save money to send to their children in Fiji.


The Lowrys have raised ten children in this home.


Another mountainside home with great views.


The owner of this home loves purple. No surprise there!


Charlee loves her Swiss Family Robinson home.


I remember our neighbor, Ted Kimball, mentioning that even the most humble home in our neighborhood would be considered a palace by ninety percent of the world's population. I have thought  about that comment often since I have been on this island and I believe that Ted is correct. What I would add is that I would hope that we are all as happy in our homes as the people that you have seen in the photos. So, as our home tour ends, please know that should you visit any one of these families, you would find a gracious welcome awaiting you.  That is just the way it is.  

As always,we are happy and trying to work hard.  We are grateful for our new friends who have made us feel like home.  We are also grateful for all of you who have made us feel the same way  when we have spent time in your homes.  We have found that home can be where ever one is at the moment. Happy Valentines day and I just might mention that our home is going to have a family member who is entering a whole new decade next week. Name supplied upon request.

Love, Ward and Susan          Elder and Sister Belliston serving in the Cook Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment