Thursday, March 17, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 23

Adventures in Paradise 23


Kia orana, everyone!  Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on the things that matter the most.  Last Friday, we were awakened by a very early morning phone call urging us to move  up to the hospital, which is located  on higher ground. The devastating earthquake in Japan had triggered tsunami warnings for much of the world. Although Rarotonga is a very long way from Japan, we knew that we needed to take this warning seriously. Ward asked me what I thought we should take with us and that question gave rise to the focus of this blog.

What would you choose to take if you had less than an hour to decide? What would be most helpful? What would be most valuable? What might you miss the most? What could you never replace. What things matter the most?

It was dark when we drove up the hill and entered the hospital grounds. The Rarotonga hospital sits on a lush green hillside overlooking the ocean. It actually has one of the most beautiful views on the island. We were very surprised to see that over three hundred people had already arrived. Many families had literally camped out on the grounds and were asleep. Some others were packed into the back of pickup trucks. Still others were quietly standing, talking in hushed tones, while facing the view of the ocean. I was struck by how calm and peaceful this scene was. It was almost surreal. Everyone was there for the same reason, but no one was speaking of the tsunami. Many were frightened, but most were voicing concern for the Japanese who we knew were suffering so much. There was a reverence there, that I had not expected. There was no laughing, no children playing noisy games, no music. There was simply stillness.

In that quiet place, I had a chance to take notice of the manner in which people had arrived. Transport of every description was loaded down with family and those families stayed together in the darkness. I could see that blankets, pillows, sleeping mats and food items had been included. I noticed large water bottles and a family pet or two. As it grew light, I noticed that some people had brought fresh fruit and loaves of bread as well. There were no items of furniture strapped to the roof of any vehicle. There were no TVs tucked into backseats, although I know that many people own them. The occasional laptop computer screen cast an eerie blue glow in the darkness. Several people were crowded around each screen, as they were watching CNN accounts of the events happening in Japan. It occurred to me, that these evacuations are not new to these people and they, long before last Friday morning, had decided what mattered the most to them.

Perhaps our personal choices that morning were made much easier because we had already left many things that mattered most to us back home in America. I can’t really say what we would have chosen had we been home, but at odd moments here, I sometimes wonder how my art work is, or if my new kitchen floor is wearing well.  I wonder if my son is remembering to use a napkin when eating his favorite sandwich in my newly-recovered wing chair. Has he remembered  to use a non- abrasive to clean my glass stove top? Does that all really matter? Would I miss any of those things?  Most anything can be replaced.

So what I saw that early morning speaks volumes to what matters most to people here on our island. Family matters. The rest of the things that we often place value on can be replaced, or if not replaced, not really missed. My family and what I believe in matters the most to me. I will include all the people that I love in that family circle, as I am sure all of you would. How I feel about my Heavenly Father and my Savior matter most to me. The care that we take for  each other, every day, not just when disaster looms, matters. How we choose to live our lives matters. It speaks to the kind of people we are.

So, as you know, the dreaded tsunami did not arrive and we all went home sleepy and thankful. Most, of us, I am sure, said and are still saying prayers for those who were much less fortunate on that day.  I suppose that you may be wondering just what we valued most here last Friday. You may be curious, especially since you know that we brought so little with us, and  we had so little time to decide. As you are perusing our list, I just thought that I might mention that Ward bought me some lovely black pearls for Christmas. (Hint: check the list)

2 bottles of water
Toilet paper
2 pillows
1 bathrobe
Laptop computer
Camera
Eye glasses
Money
Cell phone
Passports
Wards journal

As always, we are happy and trying to work hard. Summer is drawing to a close and it is cooler and less humid. We have another baptism scheduled for this Saturday and two for the following Saturday, so Ward may be in danger of becoming water-logged. You may recall that he said that he wasn’t going into the water until we had a baptism! Life here, is back to it’s lazy pace and we love it. Please know that if we had time at home to prepare for a disaster, we would charter a huge bus or train to take all of you with us, because you matter  the most. We hope that the feeling is mutual!

Love, Ward and Susan             Elder and Sister Belliston serving in the Cook Islands

The view from hospital hill at sunrise 



Our two newest little friends, Lucas and Lissa



Lucas is trying to walk in his fathers footsteps



One of these lawn ornaments is real. Guess which one!


This is one place on the island where you can feed the fish and snorkel at the same time



The steps lead to a platform where you can bring your own lunch. It's called the Salt Water Cafe. Notice the half way mark sign. There is another one just like it on the other side of the island.



Kristina and her baby just rode up like this on the scooter. Hold on baby!
Kristina is being baptised in the ocean March 26.


John Jessie is our favorite! He is nine and is being baptised at the end of the month. His sister, Alisha was baptised last week.


Happy St. Patricks Day from a six-foot two Rarotongan leprechaun 
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment