Friday, April 8, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 26

Adventures in Paradise 26


Kia orana, everyone! Out excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on abundance and the things that we take for granted. I have learned to appreciate the fine art of being patient and accepting things as they are. Gentle reader, could I suggest that you might imagine yourself in the island life style long enough to consider your personal reactions to a sampling of our everyday events. The phrase, “Don’t worry sista”, is not being repeated as often to me as it once was, as I learn to accept what is.

Three weeks ago, I had some baking to do. Someone had left a huge bunch of bananas on our doorstep and I had big plans to turn most of it into the banana bread for which I am now semi-famous. I am smiling when I tell you this! The kitchen would smell divine, I wouldn’t be wasting the fruit and I would have fresh loaves of bread to share with our friends. Imagine my surprise (insert your own reaction here, please) when I realized that the store was out of eggs! Not only was that store out of eggs, but so was every other store on the island. In my former world, I confess that I might have lodged a complaint to the manager and ruminated on the lack of advance planning by the establishment. How would that be possible? Here, as I looked around, it was clear that other people shared my disappointment, but no one complained. There was nothing anyone could do, so why be upset. Those eggs were on a ship chugging away somewhere in the Pacific ocean and they would be here eventually. The bananas were frozen for another day.

Two weeks ago, having finally purchased the delayed eggs, I found myself back at the store, this time in search of flour. Yes, you guessed it the island was now out of flour. Imagine my surprise (insert your own reaction here, please) to find that yet another ship was holding my flour hostage somewhere between New Zealand and Rarotonga. Would lodging a complaint make that boat arrive any sooner? People here are very adept at accepting what is and making the best of the situation. Again, there were no complaints, only polite inquiries about the shipping schedule. Acceptance is often a learned attribute.

These sweet people are masters of the art of accepting what is and being grateful for it. We, who have so much, complain so much more about trivial things that we perceive to be lacking in our lives. We could all learn a lesson from those here who are teaching me to slow down and appreciate simplicity. Most here have never experienced a hot shower (insert your own reaction here, please), quality health or dental care or the extravagance of window screens. Most have never tasted fresh milk, enjoyed a beef roast, or bought 100 watt light bulbs. We have participated in FHEs where the last of the lesson was presented in front of a window so the presenter could still read his notes by the fading light outside. Electricity is expensive and only used sparingly. Most women here do not have the luxury of an oven or a clothes dryer for the same reason. We know a family who as of three days ago, is out of water because we have not had rain for a week and their water tank is empty. So here I am hoping for two more days of good weather so our American guests can enjoy outdoor activities and my friends have no water. (Insert your own mental pictures here, please) I might add, here, that as we are graciously welcomed into a home, there is never an apology for what might be missing.  We have learned to be appreciative guests in any circumstance.

My new friends are grateful for the slower pace of life here. They are not lazy or disinterested; simply put, they are content. In my old life an SUV was often viewed as a necessity. In this new life Gustav and Elizabeth are grateful for their family vehicle, a red scooter. Ward jokingly remarked to our friend, William that he was half an hour for a meeting. William’s simple reply was that “I am here”. When I first drove around our island in the evening, I noticed groups of people, “just sitting around”. Why aren’t they doing something, I wondered? (Insert your own reaction, here, please) What I now realize is they are indeed doing something and it’s lovely. They are enjoying the cooling of the day, their little piece of heaven and each other’s company. They are catching up on the days events while they enjoy a shared meal together. Coming together is a national pastime. This is a place where several generations live together under the same roof. It is a place where family and community matter. 

Last weekend we enjoyed LDS general conference. It was broadcast live, which meant that our morning session aired at 6:00 am (insert your own reaction here, please), with a rebroadcast scheduled later in the afternoon. Being there that early with friends provided another gift of simple abundance for us. Rather than running off after the first session, many brought breakfast to share and we spent the time between the two sessions quietly enjoying yet another meal in the company of good friends and a lot of laughter. Children and some adults took naps on the lawn or in the beds of their trucks. It was peaceful and unrushed and now I am looking forward to October to do it all again.

We have mentioned our friend, Stella, who is leaving Rarotonga for a few months. She is
returning her mother to one of the northern islands because her mother misses it. Her mother is elderly and wants to go home .Stella and her six-year old daughter spent two and a half days on a rickety, old boat in cramped quarters only to arrive on an isolated island with a total population of fifty people (Insert your own reaction here, please), no airport, no grocery stores and no hospital. There will be no fancy meals or fast food, unless you consider catching a falling coconut fast food.  There will be a lot of fish, augmented by the meager supplies that Stella brought with her. Oh, yes, the only way off the island is another rickety old boat that will arrive about every two and a half months. We are worried, Stella is not.

We, at home have so much. American is a land of abundance and opportunity. Keith Merrill, once told me that after he returned from his mission in another humble corner of the world, he was amazed by the fact that his parents spent good money on a microwave oven, just so that food would cook faster. Why? (Insert your own reaction here, please) I am finding that I am beginning to see parts of my old life in much that same way. What is the rush? Why the hurry?  I am beginning to appreciate things more after waiting for them. Do you know how good chocolate ice cream tastes when it finally arrives from New Zealand? I do and it’s delicious. Anticipation adds an extra indiscernible quality. It’s the cherry on top. I can now more fully appreciate the old phrase, “I’m waiting for my ship to come in.” People here actually go down to the docks to watch the containers being unloaded. Then they follow behind the transports to see where those containers are delivered. It’s like a parade with a surprise ending. It’s fun! I might also add, here, that some of these boxcar size containers often end up on someone’s property as a new home (Insert your own reaction here, please) and the new owner is so happy to move in.

Well, as always we are happy and trying to work hard. As we are learning to move a little more slowly and to appreciate the simple life that we find here, we wish that you might find some contentment is accepting what is. Might I suggest even, that taking time to appreciate the abundance of your lives would not be a wasted exercise? You are all part of our abundance. You cannot imagine how much pleasure your e-mails bring to us. We so value the connection that we have with each one of you. Thank you for being there. 


Love, Ward and Susan                   Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cook Islands   



                                      
Gus and Elizabeth and family taking an afternoon ride in/on their family vehicle!


Goodbye and be careful!


This family supports itself on original artwork sold in front of their home. They are thrilled to be able to support a family while doing something they love.


We have learned to take time to enjoy a glorious sunset.


Our home is the long white roof in the center of this photo. The view is spectacular and another simple pleasure.


Our newest friend. Baby Kristina is reacting to Wards camera flash.Watching her grow will be another simple pleasure.




No comments:

Post a Comment