Friday, February 17, 2012

Adventures in Paradise 69

Adventures in Paradise 69
Kia Orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on extravagance and how it can sometimes be a very good thing. I am not a high-maintenance person. I have never been described to my knowledge as “over-the-top” or anything even close to that. One would not depict me by using adjectives such as “glitzy, flashy or sparkly”.  I have always believed that less is more; that is until I received a box from my friend, MaryBeth Jarvis Clark. As I peeked into MaryBeths gift box, I was overwhelmed  and  touched by her extravagance.  Mae West once said that “Too Much of a Good Thing is Wonderful”, and   now I am forced to agree with her.
Having been notified by MaryBeth that “the box” was coming I was not surprised by its delivery. What amazed me was the contents of that package. My sweet, thoughtful friend had sent a Valentine to the children of the Cook Islands. MaryBeth had planned  and provided a party for twenty children, but when I opened that box, I began to realize the true meaning of extravagance. I also appreciated, once again, the thoughtfulness of someone who remembered to think of others. Everything in that box was pink and glitzy. It was flashy and there were more sparkles that you can imagine. It was perfection.  MaryBeth must entertain on a much grander scale than I. This was my thought as I began to unload “the box. I realized that there was no way I would be able to limit the sharing of this treasure with only twenty children.  MaryBeth, in her thoughtful extravagance had provided the way for me to share far beyond the scope  of what she could have imagined.

Does this look like a party for twenty to you? Ah, MaryBeth!

My first idea was to extend an invitation for a Valentine-making open house to all of the children that we knew. Using the 3x5 note cards and  sticky foam creatures included in "the box", another friend created invitations for the children. They were invited to stop by after school on February 14 to make a Valentine and have a treat. In all, eighty invitations were created and we passed out all but two. Well, so much for twenty children! We also extended a date-night invitation to all the young couples who had been married for less than two years. These invitations were created using the shiny red hearts and construction paper also included in the box. The newlyweds were invited to dinner and encouraged to wear red. Using the gift bags included in “the box”, as well as some of the treats, we were able to put together a take-home Valentine kit for each of the ten couples who were invited. Twenty children, MaryBeth! What were you thinking?
It was a busy, happy and crazy week.  I made over one hundred and fifty cupcakes, using the Valentine cupcake liners from “the box”. The candy was divided into individual little bundles and tied with the ribbon that was included as well.  We decorated the house, the windows and tables with all manner of hearts. We added colorful touches with the tablecloths, napkins, plates and cups that MB had thoughtfully included . We were having a heart attack here and it was spectacular and over-the top! For a month before the party, the children kept asking us if it was February 14 yet. They were so excited and MB had given them the gift of looking forward.  Thank you, but only twenty children????
Our newlywed night was a sweet success. After a dinner of Lasagna, salad, homemade rolls and brownie sundaes, the young couples played  a “How Well Do You Know Your Valentine” game with some surprising results. One young husband  realized that his cute bride knew him far better than he knew himself. And yet another young wife announced her pregnancy! We talked about what qualities are most valued in a spouse and we laughed a lot. At the end of the evening, each couple was sent away with a gift bag that held everything needed to create their own personal Valentines for each other. Two of the couples mentioned later than they went home and had a long talk about what they wanted most in their marriages. You can’t argue with success and thank you MB, for thinking of them.
Ward and I survived Valentines day and the onslaught of children and their parents. Some mothers arrived with extra treats for the children and one mother, even provided boxes of frozen fruit bars for us to share as well. We had more than we could have imagined and my thoughts went back to last Christmas as the generosity of others allowed us to provide a Santa for addition children . It seemed that both of these experiences were more than the sum total of their parts. We as always, are grateful for the miracles we see here on a regular basis. The open house that was to last three hours lasted four and at least two children cried as their mothers pried them away from the craft table. When the dust, or perhaps here I should say sand, settled, we realized that nearly seventy children had participated. Oh, MB, that is fifty  children more than twenty!
So, perhaps instead of using the word extravagance, I should opt for abundance, for that is truly something with which I am familiar. I revel in the abundance of my life. I am blessed by a myriad of good, thoughtful friends. Many of these friends have given me the opportunity to share with new friends here. Friends who will never meet each other have been blessed through the existence of the other.  Ward and I have an abundance of caring family members who have helped us along our way here and we are grateful for their love and support.  Last week this abundance in Raro, took the form of extra hugs from the children and bigger hugs from the adults who shared an evening with us. We have more than we need and if that is extravagance, then I will have to agree with Mae West. It was too much of a good thing and it was wonderful.
As always we are happy and trying to work hard. As our time here ticks down as it must, we now focus on fond memories created here and they combine in concert with those we have of each of you. How could life get any better? Perhaps a little snow on the beach for just a moment……….Yes, that would be extravagant, now wouldn’t it.
Love, Ward and Susan                            Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cooks
Our windows are decorated and ready to party.


The cute gift bags for the newlyweds


A romantic scene is set for the newlywed dinner. I used my bedsheets for the white tablecolths.


Ake and Renal have been married eight months.


Junior and Pa found something red to wear and have been married six months.


Whoops, a not so young newlywed couple. The camera lighting wasn't bad, it was meant to look romantic.


The children have arrived for the party. This is one of my favorite photos of that day!


MaryBeth also supplied pencils, crayons, markers and construction paper. 


Our little friend picked her shirt especially to match the decor. She had been excited for a whole month!


Maricia helps Sydney and Georgia make the perfect Valentine.


We were not allowed to peek at her Valentine. We later learned that she was making it for us.


We frosted cupcakesin the kitchen. MaryBeth even supplied the cupcake liners (with hearts) and  the sprinkles to decorate the cupcake tops.


Does this look like a party for twenty????? Fun Fun!


Me and my Valentine, Angie John


When the party was over, Ward and I found this handmade basket and the accompaning heart handing in our kitchen. The heart says, " Happy Valentine Bellistons  Thank you for always thinking of our children. We will miss you. The Rongos 2012  
It doesn't get any better than this!

We hope that you all had a Happy Valentines Day and see you next week 


No comments:

Post a Comment