Saturday, May 16, 2015

Adventures in Paradise Volume 2 #28

Kia ora! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts concerning creativity and the ability to make others smile. Several blogs ago, I mentioned our friend, Samantha, who is blind. You may remember that we were touched when she said that she was grateful for her “disability” as it prevented her from seeing all that was ugly in the world. Although I would not have argued that point with her, I find myself being grateful for the inventivness and creativity of my fellow human beings. I am grateful that I possess the ability to visually appreciate so much of what is around me. There is an added bonus for me, personally, when what I see also makes me smile.

Having said that, I would like to invite you to accompany me on a visit to my favorite little place in New Zealand. Tirau is a small town of just under seven-hundred people. For years, it was only a stop for travelers who were on their way to somewhere else. That was, until the Clothier family decided to invest in a little property and establish some roots.  When the Clothiers arrived in the early 1990s (doesn’t’ that seem like very recent history?) the largest employer as well as the main reason for visiting Tirau was the corrugated steel works. In fact, that single business made Tirau the corrugated iron capital of New Zealand.  It was an impressive title, but a very unimpressive spot on the map. The town, according to Steven Clothier, seemed drab and unhappy in its circumstances. Did I mention that Steven is an artist and is known for creating works of art out less than typical materials?

Steven Clothiers bright idea was to take advantage of the endless supply of scrap corrugated steel that resulted from the iron works. In others eras, especially in Europe, a tradesman would advertise his goods by hanging over the door of his shop a larger-than-life replica of what he was selling. In that manner, one was able to see from a distance just what that particular shop was tendering. You may recall seeing sepia photographs of huge spectacles handing over an optomotrists establishment, or  some sort of food item swinging from chains over a restaurant or diner. Those creations have given way to a host of neon and garishly lighted facades, but Steven decided to turn back the clock and revive the lost art of advertising by use of eye-catching displays. It was a brilliant idea and in the rendering of that idea, the artist has created a booming tourist Mecca. It is creativity at its whimsical best and guaranteed to leave one smiling. It is perfection in corrugated steel. So rather than go into more raptourous declarations, I would simply like to invite you along on one of my strolls through my new favorite guilty pleasure. In a world where there is often too little to smile about, I would like to welcome you to Tirau, New Zealand! Please feel free to linger when and where ever you like. Soak up the ambiance and no fair keeping a straight face!

As always, we are happy and trying to work hard. We are grateful for the opportunities in life that leave us smiling and acknowledge that often those smiles come as a direct result of having been in contact with you. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us over the years and in the coming days, if there is something that tickles your funny bone, think of us.


Love, Ward and Susan   Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in Gisborne, New Zealand


Welcome to the information center where they might tell you that the town is going to the dogs!
 

The Big Sheep Wool Company where the prices aren't Baaad. (sorry about that one!)
 

The name of this store is of course,"Poppys"
 

This shop gave me "goose bumps"
 

And take a gander at this one!
 
 
I wonder if they have those shoes is a size 8?
 

This wall "leaves" me very impressed
 

New Zealanders actually eat more ice cream per capita than do we in Utah. Hard to believe but true. This is the Kiwi version of the revolving double scoop at Snelgroves!
 

Mr. Licorice outside the candy store looks good enough to eat!
 

This lends a new meaning to the term compact car. I'll bet the gas mileage is cut in half!
 

Bargain hunters can turn into such animals! But the prices were right in this op-shop.
 
 
This is literally a pie-in-the-sky
 

My friends know that I have always said that I will never eat at any place where there is an animal on the roof. I may have to make an exception in this case!
 
 
I hope you loved your visit to Tirau as much as I loved showing you!
Ka kite, and see you next week!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment