Saturday, June 13, 2015

Adventures in Paradise Volume 2 #31


Kia ora! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on keeping your corners. As we have mentioned before, the roads here are narrow and winding. One can travel for many kilometers without seeing ahead in a straight line. It takes a steady hand, and deliberate attention to avoid coming into direct contact (crashing) with oncoming vehicles. When I was teaching, the drive from Salt Lake to Bountiful would take approximately twenty minutes, weather permitting. Traveling the same distance here, due to the topography, takes approximately forty five minutes! As you can imagine, there is the temptation to “speed” things along by taking those ever-present curves in a less than prudent manner.

         Every day, there are accidents, some more serious than others, caused by drivers who carelessly take chances on New Zealand roads. There is such a concern about this, that the government has erected sign after warning sign reminding drivers to be cautious. One sign simply says, “Slow down, what’s the hurry?” Another reminds drivers to think of others. Yet another suggests simply that other people make mistakes. In amongst all of these warnings there is one that has kept my attention every since we arrived. It shows a car on a curve. The car is actually crossing the center line and there is a large red diagonal bar that slashes across the whole photo. The warning: “Do Not Cut Corners!”

         On our narrow roads here, that warning is more than prophetic. If you are taking a blind curve while cutting the corner, the chances of your contributing to a disaster are pretty high. The message is clear. Cutting corners is dangerous!  It’s interesting to note that those caution signs concerning cutting corners outnumber all of the others two-to-one. It is ever so much smarter and safer to just follow the rules.

         In thinking about trying not to cut corners, it occurs to me how this rule of the road is also a wise adage for life in general. Just think of all that we miss when we cut off the corners! I have a mental image of my home without its corners. Wouldn’t it fall in on it’s self?  Before we left Salt Lake, a friend gave us some delicious triple chocolate brownies. I would have been so distressed if she had cut all of the corners off before delivering them. I would definitely have felt that something was missing! Imagine a road map with all of the corners missing. That map could leave us feeling lost and confused. Personally, I prefer all the corners I can get!

         When I first moved into my home, there was a woman who lived across the street from me. Barbara had two children; a son and a daughter and she was raising them as a single mother. In a horrific act of violence, her husband had been murdered while working the late shift in a convenience store in another state. Barbara moved home to be nearer to her mother in an attempt to give her children a life surrounded by family. I watched, year after year, as this single mother worked tirelessly to make a good life for her children.  I was impressed that Barbara did not cut corners when it came to providing for her family. Sometimes, when my husband was not going to be home for dinner, I used to serve what I called the “Let’s just have a hotdogs or something easy cause your dad isn’t here for dinner dinner”. The implication being that it wasn’t really dinner if dad wasn’t home and we were allowed to cut some corners. Does that make sense to anyone? It did to me at the time. I cut a few corners to make my life a little easier, or so I thought. By the way, those are not the dinners that my sons remember.

         One day as I was visiting with Barbara, I told her that I was impressed that she never seemed to cut corners on meals or during any sort of interaction with her children, knowing that she did not have the luxury of waiting for her husband to return to help with the family responsibilities. She told me something that I have never forgotten. She said that there was a lot of waste in cutting corners and who is to know what wonderful part of the day is lost by cutting if off. What an amazing lesson she taught me that day and it’s one that I cherish even now. The mental image that I carry with me now is one of a jar filled with corners. The corners are all blank, so I have no idea what they represent or what they could have contributed. They are all lost opportunities. Those opportunities are gone forever.

        Isn’t it interesting how a road sign in New Zealand and the memory of a friend from many years ago now merge to remind me of an invaluable life lesson. Cutting corners is in my opinion, not a recipe for success. I would rather have all of those corners included in my life, rather than tossed in a jar somewhere.

       As usual, we are happy and trying to work hard. We are so grateful that we have not been corners that you have cut from your lives. We are also grateful to a loving Heavenly Father and Savior who cut no corners where Their love for us is concerned.  We appreciate the good examples that you have set as you attempt to live full and enriching lives. We know that it is never too late to stop cutting corners and you just never know what you will gain in the process.


         Love, Ward and Susan     Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in Gisborne, New Zealand


1 comment:

  1. SUSAN,
    You have a GIFT...
    - To sense Truth,
    - To feel it fully,
    - And then to be able to communicate it through the written word.
    I doubt that there are many who can do all three (as you do) so well.

    As for myself, I can do the first two pretty well – that really lack on the last one.
    So thanks for sharing your great WISDOM!

    ReplyDelete