Saturday, October 17, 2015

Adventures in Paradise Volume 2 #43

Kia ora! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts concerning receiving sound advice. Last week, I did not have time to write a blog as my son Travis came to New Zealand to spend his vacation with us. Our mission president generously encouraged us to explore our island together while enjoying each others company. It was a wonderful visit, and from a mother’s viewpoint, a tad too short, but it meant the world to me to have my son here with us and we made the most of every moment. As we motored around the north island, I marveled at the ingenuity of the road signs that we encountered. I was impressed by the cleverness of their creators and the inventive way that this country has of leaving thoughtful messages for both residents and visitors alike. 

There are signs that remind the public that they are on holiday so there is no need to be in a hurry.  We smiled when warnings appeared notifying us of lurking seals and yellow-eyed penguins. Do seals somehow climb up steep embankments and wander across the road? I have no idea! Some serious signage reminds the reader that “Live is 4 Living, Stay Alert”, while another notes, “ Seatbelt on Safe Travels.” New Zealand also alerts drivers that there are older folks living in the area with “Elderly Crossing” cautions. This yellow sign is embellished with a stooped-over figure holding a cane. I just happened to snap a photo of Ward standing under that particular sign, but he has insisted that there is no way that I will be allowed to post it! There is another photo of Ward standing below a message from the New Zealand police that warns us not to speed. In that particular photo, Ward is holding his speeding ticket (who would have believed it?) and I was absolutely not allowed to post that photo, either. The truth is, that Ward only reads my blog after it has been published, so he will not know until it’s too late that I have shared his secret!

But I digress. For the most part, the creativity exhibited keeps us entertained as we drive, and hopefully gives us something to think about. Below is the Maori version of, “Attention, school bus unloading, 20 kph. Watch for children. Using childlike drawings was, I thought, a very clever and effective way of reminding us all to watch out for the little ones.

 



 But by far the most thought-provoking sign, for me personally, is one that I have been pondering ever since arriving in New Zealand.  And although I am almost positive that my interpretation was not the intent of the designer, I have wondered just how many others have viewed this particular sign with its powerful suggestion and found a deeper meaning in its few simple words.  

 


What a powerful lesson we are taught when we realize that where we will go is determined by the direction we are facing. What we do in this life depends in great part, on where we choose to look. If we have set goals for ourselves, we are much more likely to accomplish those goals if we keep focused on the end. Should we, like the biker on the sign, happen to look away or be distracted even momentarily, we may find ourselves headed in the wrong direction. We can become lost. We can find ourselves in situations we never imagined and in places that we had not desired to visit.

So each time that we pass this particular cautionary reminder, I try to remember to make certain that I am facing in the right direction. Sometimes, we may even need to slow down just a little, so that we don’t miss an unexpected curve or bump in the road. Those hazards are better managed when we are paying attention and taking them seriously.

As always, we are happy and trying to work hard. We are finding joy in the journey and no small amount of amusement as we now, eagerly watch for and anticipate the next creative roadside admonition. We are grateful for all of you, who have impressed us with your navigational skills and your ability to keep from losing yourselves. We appreciate your examples and look forward to returning home so that from time to time, we might just be able to travel with you!


Love, Ward and Susan      Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in Gisborne, New Zealand

 And there is nothing more attention getting that simply seeing an exclamation point!

3 comments:

  1. Well said. Your messages are amazing. Thanks for sharing your experiences and talents. We send our love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for my devotional thought to start this new day off. I will make sure to look in the right direction and enjoy the journey. The signs here are definitely not as amusing as over there. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for my devotional thought to start this new day off. I will make sure to look in the right direction and enjoy the journey. The signs here are definitely not as amusing as over there. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete