Friday, October 7, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 51

Adventures in Paradise 51

Kia Orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on discovering that we may know far less that we think we do. That is a rather cryptic beginning, but the truth as I see it is that most of us don’t know what we don’t know. One of my recurring mistakes is in assuming that I know more about something than I really do. In truth, this revelation is not usually life threatening, but it can be life altering.

Months ago, I shared the story of my new Tivaevae. This beautiful Tivaevae was created by a master artist. We were able to meet and she tutored me on the correct procedure and stitches for completing the project. She carefully explained how I should go about the process and I appreciated the fact that she had left markers and indicators on the fabric that would direct my work. She had shown me the way to go and I had listened. I could follow the master teacher. Even if I were far removed from her, I would be able to finish my Tivaevae because someone who knew more than I had shown me the way. I had now become an expert Tivaevae stitcher thanks to her instructions………or so I thought. Can anyone guess where I might be going with this?


Last month, I fell in love again. This time the object of my affections was a tri-colored Tivaevae that I discovered at Saturday market.  As before, I was able to meet and speak with the designer, again this time  she endeavored to tell me how to go about the stitching. Although polite and attentive, I began to feel that she was telling me things that I already knew. I confess to probably not listening as intently as I could have. In my limited Tivaevae experience, I had mistakenly assumed that I knew enough. In my mind, this patient woman was telling me what I was already  well aware of. And to be honest, I think that I also wanted this woman to know that I was experienced; that I knew what I was doing. Now, can anyone guess where I might be going with this?

Where I am going is that when I brought my new treasure home, I very quickly realized that I should have listened much more carefully. I should have respected the experience that this woman possessed and I should have known that she had something valuable to tell me. Although  at first glance, my new Tivaevae seemed “easier” that my first, I soon realized that in reality it was much more complicated.  The green and white Tivaevae was labor intensive having so much pattern, that it would take a long time to complete. BUT the second, was much more difficult technically. There were overlays of design and there was a trick to stitiching them while keeping them aligned. I did not have the skill to complete it unless I spoke to this woman again.  My ego had come between me and what I needed to know. Does anyone relate to this?

                                    

So, I went back to market the next Saturday and spoke again to the designer and this time I listened. I learned that there were intricacies to my second Tivaevae that I had not imagined. I gained a greater appreciation for this art and, I have learned enough to complete my new prize. What I have learned is enough for now, but would not be enough should I try to become the creator. I also learned that I should recognize those around me who have greater knowledge and I should listen. I have learned that there are always going to be people in my life who know than I. I am reminded that I should respect that superior knowledge and seek it out.

When I was much younger, I thought that people my present age (information not available) knew it all, or at least knew enough.  I thought that their lives were settled because they had learned the secrets of living well. Now that I am this age, I realize how little I know and that life really is a continual learning experience. There are amazing things to learn and equally amazing people who can be our teachers and guides. Should I purchase a third Tivaevae, I will be more than prepared to hear what the creator has to tell me and I will listen! Asking for direction is not a sign of weakness. It is the mark of someone willing to learn.

Oh, by the way, I also learned that when you drop your digital camera into sea water, it will stop working. Several people offered advice for drying it . I tried using a hairdryer and covering it in a bowl of rice. It still didn't work. We are sending it back to America so that someone else can fix what I broke. We trust in their greater knowledge. There will be new photo adventures to share as soon as we can sort this all out. I believe that I have stated in previous blogs that I am still learning. This is the truth and I happily admit it!

As always, we are happy and trying to work hard. We are excited to be learning so much every day and are also grateful for the numerous times that we have learned from you. I personally, am very aware that the only thing that we all can take with us from this life is the knowledge that we have gained here and I am trying my best to acquire as much of it as I can! We miss you and I would like to invite you all to find something that you can teach me when we return home. I promise to be a good student!

Love, Ward and Susan                       Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cooks

                                                
This  always makes me smile as we pass it. Perhaps someone should have paid more attention when  instructed in the art of scaffolding! Listening to and following directions may have helped here!

See you next week

1 comment:

  1. Still reading your blog posts each week and loving them!

    -Tawna

    ReplyDelete