Thursday, October 27, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 54

Adventures in Paradise 54

Kia Orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts concerning neighbors and the impact they have on our lives. If we are lucky, our lives are enhanced by the interaction we enjoy with those who live near us. If we are lucky, we are surrounded by caring, supportive friends who know far more about us than we might guess and who choose to keep it to themselves. If you are really lucky, you may be blessed with a neighbor like Jeannette Flamming.

Last weekend, I made an urgent request to Jeannette through e-mail. Jeannette is my neighbor to the south on 18th East in Salt Lake City. She is a master gardener and knowing that winter would soon be making an appearance in Utah, I asked, well in truth, I begged Jeannette to help me. My hope was that she would have time to prepare my garden for the winter. When she responded, Jeannette informed me that she would be leaving town the following Thursday, but that she would see what she could do in the meantime. What I expected and what Jeannette accomplished are on opposite ends of the spectrum. During the weekend, my front flower beds were cleared of a years-worth of weeds and creeping grasses. Many of you stopped to say hello while Jeannette was working and to compliment her on her labors. She appreciated your kind words and enjoyed pleasant conversations with some of you. While she and her grandson, Andrew toiled, they noticed that a tree in my backyard had toppled and was resting on the power lines. Jeannette called the power company and made arrangements for the removal of the offending tree. While you may have only noticed that the weeds in the flowerbeds have disappeared, you should know that come spring, there will be a riot of new color for the entire neighborhood to enjoy.

I lost count in her description, but I know that in that short span of the weekend, Jeannette and Andrew (mostly Jeannette) planted forty-eight tulip bulbs! She also added crocus and daffodils and there was even talk of pansies. Jeannette lovingly and painstakingly helped a neighbor who is five thousand miles away. Ward and I will come home in the spring to be greeted with the results of all of her hard work. The best part is that our friends and neighbors will benefit from her hard work as well.  There will be beautiful flowers for all to enjoy. That is her gift to you, the people who are her neighbors.  I might add here, that whenever I leave home, I have trusted that Jeannette will be watching over my house and gardens. I have often joked with her that my yard looks better when I am away than when I am there due to her diligence. If she can’t be found working in my garden, you might look for her next door at her own home, lovingly tending to her own flowers. Stop and enjoy a conversation with her and become better acquainted. Trust me you will be glad that you did! Thank you Jeannette!

As I thought about Jeannette, I couldn’t help but think of other acts of kindness that I have experienced over the years. There was a time of great difficulty in my life a few years ago and often during that time, I would find a note or a card tucked in my mailbox. Each card expressed the love of the sender and supplied the emotional lift that I needed at that moment. I began taping those notes to the inside of one of my cupboard doors and every time that I opened that particular door, I was immediately engulfed with a sense of love and caring from all of the people who had taken time to write to me. Those cards are no longer taped to the inside of my cupboard, but they are tucked away in a safe place where I can visit them and reread them from time to time. They are a constant reminder of the goodness of those around me.

Most of us have also found treats of one kind or another on our doorsteps. Homemade soups and casseroles and freshly baked bread travel from one home to another on a regular basis. Walks are shoveled after a snowstorm and errands are run for those who are housebound. Every day, there are phone calls checking on the welfare of others or they are made simply to provide a connection with the outside world for someone. I remember seeing June Hosford, a neighbor of mine, walk across the street to Maxine Sutton’s home every morning. For several years I watched this and finally inquired as to the reason that she did that. June’s simple reply was that she couldn’t start her day until she knew that her friend, Maxine, was awake and well. My neighbors take the time to get to know each other and they are concerned for the other’s welfare. It is not for me to suggest that my neighborhood is special…….well, it is special, but then, so is yours. The world is full of people who care enough to be concerned about others.

Our island neighbors are thoughtful as well. In our blogs, we have mentioned the many times that we have returned home to find fresh fruit on our doorstep. This is always such a lovely surprise! I once complimented a friend on her colorful skirt. I was aware that she had made it and was so impressed when I realized that she had painted the fabric as well. The next week, I found three yards of that same fabric on my doorstep and now she and I own matching skirts! When we visit Saturday market, we are not allowed to pay for food there out of respect for the fact that we are missionaries. One day in church, the woman sitting behind me reached forward and fastened a black pearl necklace around my neck!  Another time, someone noticing that I most always wear a flower in my hair, crocheted two pearl-centered flowers so that when I leave here, I will  have something lasting to wear in my ponytail. My list could go on, but then so could yours. We have all been lucky to have good neighbors. To paraphrase an old saying, “If you are lucky enough to have good neighbors, you are lucky enough”. I am lucky enough!

So, as always, we are happy and trying to work hard. I am so grateful to all of you over the years for your friendship and concern as my neighbors. It matters little how close or how far away you live as we are all connected by those neighborly ties that keep us thinking of others. I look forward to the day next April when I can stand in my front yard and admire Jeannette’s handiwork. Please drop by and we will enjoy it together. By then I hope to have cookies in my freezer that I can thaw out and share as we revel in Jeannette’s whoops, I mean my garden together. In the meantime, enjoy those people who make up the fabric of your neighborhood and know that we are eager for the day when we will once again be there with you. And thank you Jeannette for  giving me the idea for this blog!

Love, Ward and Susan                 Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cooks


Trying to be a good neighbor, I bypass a goat to deliver a birthday cake!



These neighbors were celebrating their birthdays



A small neighbor taking part in the celebration



Iva is happy to celebrate with her neighbors



My neighbor, Ludwina dyed and printed the fabric for my skirt.



My neighbor, Elizabeth, grew these flowers then shared them with us 



Our neighbor, Judy, crocheted these flowers for my hair. Please notice the tiny black pearl in the center. Each petal is worked around a tiny metal ring. Amazing!



A thoughtful neighbor always presents someone leaving our island with shell eis. Beautiful!



Our neighbors from Aitutaki sent Ward this shirt. The pareau for me has the name "Aitutaki" hand stenciled on it. Ward hasn't had a new Aloha shirt in almost a year. What thoughtful neighbors to send him a new one!



I am looking forward to seeing all of my neighbors in a few months! Ka Kite and see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment