Friday, November 25, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 58

Adventures in Paradise 58

Kia Orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on Joy. For the past week, a professional photographer has been snapping photos on our little rock. He was hired originally, to produce photographs that the Cook Islands tourism board could use for their next ad campaign. While he was fulfilling this assignment, he began to notice that almost everyone whom he shot seemed happy. Realizing that people often assume certain poses when a camera is present, he decided to perform a little experiment. He went looking for photo opportunities that could be taken without the knowledge of the subject. He wanted to see if the Rarotongan people would display the same level of happiness when they were unaware of the photographer. He was touched to find that indeed, these people seemed happy whether or not a camera was present.

Several of these photos appeared in the local paper yesterday under the headline of “Moments of Joy” and I could not help smiling when I viewed this one of the two women on the motorbike. Their expressions of pure unadulterated joy are priceless.




So, I have been thinking a lot about joy and what it is and how we go about finding it. While the dictionary has a host of synonyms describing it, I believe that in fact, joy defies definition. It just is, and we either know it or we don’t. For many years, I have been struck by the photographs of criminals as they appear in the newspaper. There was always something unsettling about the eyes. It finally occurred to me that there was no light. Those eyes staring out from those arrest photos were lifeless. And therein, perhaps, lies the difference. Those who know joy project light in their faces. Their eyes project light from within and they are “innerlit” to coin a phrase.

For me, my moments of joy come from being comfortable in my own skin. It’s knowing who you are and knowing that you are in a good place. Those joyful moments are born of a sense of inner peace and being grateful. They come from loving and being loved and being content. Years ago, a dear friend told me that what I needed in my life was peace, but at the time, I thought that I needed other things more. My friend was right and I now know that peace is highly underrated. Light years ago, I would have thought that being contented was the equal of being boring. Again, I was wrong. Contentment is a gift to cherish. It’s the opportunity to develop talents and to serve others. It’s being surrounded by caring people and family. It’s the gift of living life well. I actually think that having joy feels a whole lot like the perfect Thanksgiving; all mellow and peaceful. There is an old saying, “Living well is the best revenge”. Why would a life well-lived be focused on revenge? My modified adage would be “Living well is its own reward”.  Happy people want other people to be happy too, don't you think? 

As I began contemplating the moments of joy in my life, I started searching through the photos that we have taken since arriving in the Cooks. In sharing these with you, I would just like to mention that our friends here have many moments of joy because they are content and peaceful. In the paper yesterday, the Cook Islands were listed as the most peaceful country in the world. I can believe this. The islanders are happy with who they are and where they are. We have learned a great deal from our new friends. What some of us may perceive as lack of motivation, others view as contentment. I will let you decided for yourself if you see the light in this week’s photos.

So, as always, we are happy and trying to work hard. As we have just dipped below the four-month mark, we will admit that we have fleeting thoughts of our return home. It’s more than just being home again, it’s the opportunity of seeing all of you and being in your company. So, come to the airport and bring your camera. The expression on our faces when we first see you will tell you all you need to know about that moment in time. It will be joyful!

Love, Ward and Susan                  Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cooks


This is childlike joy personified


It brings David joy to share his harvest (that is our van he's loading!)


Tereroa is joyfully waiting for the bride to appear at a recent wedding.


Two mothers enjoying our Halloween party


Tere just after his baptism. There is light.


The Teakas enjoying their newly adopted daughter


Elizabeth enjoying her birthday with good friends.


These cute girls are enjoying the moment


We clipped this out of the paper as well. This mama enjoys crocheting the flowers  you see on her
hatband. In the background, is a Tivaevae she designed.


Our daughter, Teresa,  CHOOSES to always be positive and enjoy her life. So she is happy.

Stay turned next week for "Views From Our Backyard"

No comments:

Post a Comment