Thursday, December 1, 2011

Adventures in Paradise 59

Adventures in Paradise 59

Kia Orana, everyone! Our excellent adventure continues with thoughts on the view from our backyard. This morning as I turned yet another page of the calendar, I couldn’t help having a few moments of nostalgia for the year that has passed. The new year will bring many changes for us, and we now find ourselves torn between two very different worlds. As it is inevitable that we must face the reality of leaving our little island paradise, we find ourselves treasuring the experiences of a lifetime. These experiences have been life-changing and many, if not most of these moments have taken place in our very own backyard.

My son, Jared, says that you don’t need a camera, as that is what memories are for, and while I agree and am grateful for my memories, I am also very happy that we have had the opportunity to solidify those memories with our photographs. Even now, as I scanned our collection of photos, I found myself recalling moments that were lost to my short-term memory. While I know what you are thinking, it is not permanent memory loss and I can still recall what I had for breakfast yesterday! It is simply that we have had an amazing last fifteen months and we are overloaded. So, this morning, as I enjoy the view from our veranda I am grateful for the memories and the experiences that have taken place in our backyard over the last months.

Today, I have been reminded of the weddings and baptisms that have taken place on our beach. We have enjoyed the company of new friends and have learned to appreciate exotic foods that have been cooked on our beach as well. There have been  kai kais, and parties complete with fire dancers. We have been honored to host visiting General Authorities, who have been awed by the view from our home. We have enjoyed sharing our backyard with the children during our Easter egg hunt and most recently, our Halloween party. We have reveled in glorious sunsets and been lulled to sleep by the sound of the crashing surf. We have been thrilled to watch as whales pass by our beach and to wake up some mornings to see a cruise ship or sail boat doing the same thing. Recently we had the best seat on the island for the “Round Raro” vaka (canoe) races. We sat on the rocks under our palms and waved as they passed! We have shared our view with friends and family who came to visit and they too came to appreciate what we enjoy here. Our backyard is amazing!

So, please imagine as you view our photos, that you are with us in our backyard. Suspend reality for a few moments and put yourselves  in our shoes…..oh, I mean flip-flops and enjoy the view and our experiences.


A New Years Day gathering. The men are grilling out of camera range.


Our second baptism. Kristina wanted to be baptized here because the first baptism she witnessed took place on this beach. It was beautiful and peaceful.


Christmas dinner with hungry elders (including Ward!)


A passing cruise ship


A visit from Elders Costa and Hamula


A spirited volleyball game with the island's teenagers.


Nothing is on fire, this is a sunset!


 Little friends having fun in our ocean


Ward getting into the swim of things!


Clifton Femoni, our local rock star.


Another breathtaking sunset


Watching the vaka (canoe) races


As usual, we are happy and trying to work hard. We hope that you have been able to enjoy our backyard view, if even for a moment. We are pleased if you caught the flavor and local color that we have been privileged to experience for the last fifteen months. We also want to tell you how much we miss many of your backyards. We have fond memories of shared dinners and quiet gatherings. We treasure memories of evening chats under the stars with you and the hospitality of your homes. There have been garden parties and birthday gatherings, bridal and baby showers and I miss them all!  We have enjoyed grilling and eating homemade ice cream. We have laughed and been enhanced by each others company. Many of you have gardens to die for that include whimsical touches that make me smile. I love the wind chimes and birdhouses, the flower beds and the trees that make up the fabric of your backyards. This all speaks of home to me. A well-known garden expert once said that the perfect backyard should include three elements: water, motion and sound. There is a fourth element of fire, but that is optional. I would add a fifth, that of good friends. Well, we certainly have the water, the swaying palms will be our motion and the sound of the crashing waves will complete our picture here. What completes my backyard picture at home is seeing the Creer children playing in their own backyard to the north, the rooftop of the Baker’s house peeking over my apple tree to the east and knowing that my neighbor, to the south Jeannette, is keeping watch over me. My wind chimes, motion sculpture and birdbath are just the finishing touches on what is already a perfect picture.


I always try to put my best foot forward. See you next week!


Love, Ward and Susan                 Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in the Cooks


No comments:

Post a Comment