Saturday, August 1, 2015

Adventures in Paradise Volume 2 #36

Kia ora! Our excellent adventure continues with some thoughts on predators and a mother’s protective instinct. It is lambing season here and everywhere we look, we are enchanted by the spectacle playing out around us. Each day, as we notice countless wobbly little bundles of wool perched precariously upon spindly matchstick legs, we marvel at the miracle of birth and we are touched by the tender care that these new mothers exhibit towards their babies.  It is a magical time here in New Zealand and we are grateful to participate, if only as spectators.

Watching the lambs instinctively tending to their offspring, it occurred to me that these particular sheep do not know just how fortunate they are. There are no natural predators in New Zealand. These new mothers have the luxury of watching their children cavort happily in the paddocks without the concern of being too anxious over their safety. In truth the most pressing concern one new mother experienced was the presence of two camera-wielding Americans who were clicking away on the other side of a fence. It was clear that we were making her uncomfortable, so we drove away, leaving her to focus on her twins in private. These new mothers don’t have much to worry about, and I wish that I could say the same for human parents.

What would it be like if we humans did not have to worry about predators where our own children are concerned? What if the world were a safer place? What if we weren’t constantly concerned about the physical safety of our kids? What if we didn’t fret over broken bones and broken hearts? What if we could just sit back and watch?

There have been times in the growing up years of my sons, when I found myself wishing that I did not have to worry so much, but that is what human mothers do best, isn’t it? I remember looking into the bassinette, where my week-old son, Jared was swaddled, sleeping peacefully, and thinking naively that I would never worry more about him than I did at that moment. Thankfully, I could not see far enough into the future to know what it would be like to experience being awakened at 2:00 in the morning nineteen years later by a voice in the dark saying simply “ Mom and Dad, I think you had better wake up”. In those few seconds before turning on the light, fear and dread washed through my brain. What had happened? There was no mistaking that something was wrong! Then, a calmness settled as I struggled to wake fully. My mind was sleepily processing the situation and I reminded myself that whatever had happened, my son was home. He was home and because I knew where he was and that he was talking, I would be able to cope with whatever had taken place. It was the single most reassuring thought that I have ever experienced as a mother. My son was home and at that moment, nothing else mattered.

To make a long story a little shorter, earlier that evening Jared had been in a serious automobile accident. He had lost control of his vehicle on a dark, snow covered mountain road in Park City and he and his little white car had ended up in a river. Fortunately members of his band had been following him and were quick to the rescue. The car did not survive, but my son did and for that I will be forever grateful. I am so thankful for the calm reassuring feeling that settled over me that morning in the dark, as I realized that my son was home. That feeling epitomizes my experience with motherhood.

I should make it perfectly clear here, that my sons have given my very little to worry about, but I have worried just the same. It’s one of the things that I do best. I have not stopped being concerned for them, even though they are grown men. I want them to always be healthy and happy and if I had my choice (and I don’t!) they would still be coming down the stairs for breakfast and sharing with me their plans for the day. I miss the everydayness of our earlier lives together, but they chose to grow up instead of staying little boys and I miss them.

So, as I watch those new mothers being so relaxed around their little lambs, I envy them in a way for their lack of angst. They will never have to worry about so many unsavory elements of today’s society. They will not spend one moment concerned over hurt feelings or broken hearts. They will not lose sleep when their lambs come home later than they should. They will not worry that they are lost. But I do not envy the fact that their babies will grow up so quickly and sooner than later, they will all forget that they are related. I am grateful that I have loved my children enough to be constantly worried about them. I am glad, that for a season, I was their protector.

As always, we are happy and trying to work hard. Once a mother, always a mother and I suppose I will always be looking for another little lamb to watch over. One of our little lambs here, is young mother Rana, who will be baptized next Saturday and we are so happy for the peace that has come into her life as she has made decisions that will help her to provide a better life for herself as well as for that of her young daughter. We are going to enjoy watching her learn to walk on her new wobbly spiritual legs as she makes her way in her new life. We will be there to help her up if she falls, and soon enough, she will find that she won’t need us quite as much as she did. That’s just what parenting is all about, isn’t it?


Love, Ward and Susan     Elder and Sister Belliston, serving in Gisborne, New Zealand

These babies are less than ten minutes old. The lamb in the foreground has not yet tried to stand. That is his hind leg stretching out behind him.


Newly-born lambs stay very close to their mothers.


 Twins!


These babies instinctively know where to look for their first meal. Mom is licking them clean.  


The twins are bathed and ready to face the world


This whole paddock was full of mothers and their children


Kindergarten is open!


Rana will be baptized on Saturday and her baby girl will be blessed next month!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE your sentiments in THIS POST..... And I related to it, as I have the same 'Worry Gene'.

    I look forward to the next life where those worries will be gone yet we will still have the company and companionship of our own (once) little ones.

    CARRY ON, YOU TWO‼️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a heartt felt motherly insights. Feeding His sheep is what we have the strongest desire to do. Continue bringing them to the fold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartt felt motherly insights. Feeding His sheep is what we have the strongest desire to do. Continue bringing them to the fold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a heartt felt motherly insights. Feeding His sheep is what we have the strongest desire to do. Continue bringing them to the fold

    ReplyDelete